Friday 10 July 2009

Possible unsigned bands for my music video

http://www.unsigned.com/brokenwrist - One of those nights

I really like this song i think the lyrics have good potential to build a storyline out of, however there are a lot of instrumental pieces within this song, which may be hard to fill in the video as they provide to speed or movement to the song. on top of this it is a very long song at 3minutes 30 seconds so it would have to be cut down. Unless I find a better song I will have to play around with cutting out some of the instrumental slices, but i fear this will make the song very repetitive and dull!

This Band is called JYNXT and I am considering them because this song has many different phases and dynamics with the fast jumpy beat, guitar, computer adjusted notes here and there (especially at the beginning) the angry lyrics that rapidly change to a calmer beat. In a similar manner to the song above this one is also too long and would have to be cut down meaning that some of the phases or dynamics will be lost and wont be as effective.

http://www.payneandreece.com/listen.html - Lost

I like the sound of most of their songs because they have lyrics which can create a great plot, especially the song called 'Lost', however I am not entirely sure that Payne and Reece are unsigned because their website indicates otherwise, so it look like i will not be able to use their songs which are also too long!


This band called Princip are quite rocky which is quite nice because I can go for a different style than with the other songs, however the lyrics are a little bit boring, 'I want to stamp out your face!', although very nice is a bit difficult to film convincingly! The music however has pace, but is a bit lacking in varience until the very short guitar instrumental. I don't think this song is quite cutting it!

http://www.unsignedbandweb.com/music/bands/10665/ -

I really liked the band name 'The Sky Diving Penguins' this is what grabbed my attention! I really like the song 'Pain killer Buzz' which has lyrics that can be adapted into a narrative, and as it is about drugs and the music is a bit psychedelic it means i can experiment and can make the narrative 'trippy'!
The song 'Think of Red Pomegranate' is a little strange but the music has lots of different dynamics, pace and movement. However it is a little long and the only lyrics being the title it gets a little repetitive and annoying because you have no idea why they want you to think of red pomegranate! Overall I prefere the 'Pain Killer Buzz' song which has good potential.

http://www.unsignedbandweb.com/music/bands/2134/ - The shining

I am really enthusiastic about 'The Alps' because they sound so professional and although it is very mainstream music this means I can create a very conventional video, or I can break conventions, making fun of the genre. After trawling through what seems like thousands of bands that are abismal these are refreshing and to me sound very promising although I may just be fed up! The songs 'The Shining' and 'As It Comes' have lyrics that partly lead places but have a good solid beat with movement and tunes that stick in your head!

http://www.unsignedbandweb.com/music/bands/11352/ -

I really like 'The Sway' for the same reasons as the Alps because they sound very professional, their song 'Going Blind' is very good, cheerful and reminds me of a fairytale, but the lyrics also lead you on a journey in the mind of a blind/crazy man, however along with many of the other songs is the fact that this song is way too long at 3 minutes 43 seconds it is about a minute too long and cutting out that much would ruin the song, but i could stop the song after the lyrics 'So Relax' which is at 2 min 4o secs which would work although that would be cutting out the amazing screamy wail at the end. This is one of my favourite entries along with The Alps!

After further investigation it would seem that The Sway used to be signed and during this time period created a music video so I need to find out whether it is acceptable to make another one and whether they are signed or not! Oh Dear


1 comment:

  1. Brokenwrist - I like the song, but agree that there's a need to cut it down. I'm not sure of the 'I need a new life' repetition. It does go on a bit. You could always contact them to ask for a remix?

    JYNXT - is relentless and very fast. I think this would be very hard to edit to.

    Payne and Reece - Yep, they're signed.

    Princip - I think you've rejected this for the right reasons.

    The Sky Diving Penguins - Great name indeed. Painkiller buzz - I'm not sure it's interesting enough as a track. Red Pomegranate - too indistinct. Do you have any good ideas for narratives/ visuals here? If not yet, I'd pick one of the other songs you found.

    The Alps - The shining is pretty good. Any visual ideas?
    As it Comes is good. Just steer clear of any literal visual interpretations of the lyrics.

    the Sway - I think The Alps or Brokenwrist have more potential.

    Please add a post to your blog explaining any ideas for the content/ narrative of your music videos.

    good research.

    Are you working alone/ who with?

    ReplyDelete